The President is the Chair of the Board of Directors (The Council) of the Association.
The President needs to be aware of and contribute where appropriate to all areas of association activity. In addition, the President has special responsibility for liaison with:
- Branch Presidents
- Heads of Speech Pathology Programs in Australian Universities
- International associations
- Australian allied health associations who share common concerns.
The President chairs quarterly Council meetings, quarterly meetings with Branch Presidents, quarterly meeting with Heads of Speech Pathology Programs, at-least-monthly meetings of the Council Management Group, weekly/fortnightly meetings with the CEO, and the Annual General Meeting. Many of these meetings are conducted via teleconferencing.
The President also represents the Association in the media, and meets with the Association’s human resource management consultants, lawyers, auditor, Senior Professional Advisors, and so on, as required. The President also provides support to Council members and Branch Presidents.
Current major foci of activity for the President include:
- Creating closer links with International Associations, particularly those in NZ and SE Asia
- Ensuring successful implementation of the International Mutual Recognition Agreement with the UK, US and Canada
- Gaining support of Heads of Speech Pathology Programs for the revised course accreditation procedures and exploring pre-accreditation support for new courses
- Running Member Meetings and Forums
- About SPA
- Join SPA
- SPA News & Events
- Information for Members
- Information for the Community
- Lobbying & Advocacy
- SPA Discussion Boards