Why Join & What is in it for me?
Join the Association
We are the National Peak Body representing a dynamic profession
We Represent the Profession to Government and key stakeholders
We Advocate on behalf of those with communication & swallowing difficulties, for accessible and adequate speech pathology services
We provide a wide range of Member Services and Benefits
In the world of Speech Pathology we face community and State issues, National and International issues.
A single stand alone Speech Pathologist will find it hard to respond to these issues BUT as a united group, with a thriving Association, we can have impact on issues for our membership and clients.
Your membership helps us continue to be the 'Voice' for Speech Pathologists and provide a comprehensive range of member services.
Why Join and What's in it for me
- Representation & Lobbying: To external bodies including Government, employing authorities and the community in general.
- Public Relations & Media: Develop and manage the Association's National public relations and media activities- Inc. Speech Pathology Week and the Book of the Year Awards.
- Publications: Produced publications on professional issues and up-to-date research. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and the Journal of Clinical Practice in Speech-Language Pathology.
- Continuing Education: Coordinate Continuing Professional Development events, including workshops by overseas professionals and the National Conference.
- Member Services: Maintain and develop a comprehensive range of services including a mentoring program, professional information, and advice and practice services.
- Submissions: Research, coordinate and draft lobbying submissions to funding bodies, government departments and research authorities.
- Eligibility to participate in the Association's Professional Self Regulation (PSR) program to earn Certified Practising Speech Pathologist status and recognition essential for eligibility under the Mutual Recognition of Professional Association Credentials. Click here for more information
- Member price for Continuing Professional Development events and National Conference.
- Access to the Member ADVANTAGE program: Benefits include discounted dinning, accommodation, movie tickets, HCF, Europcar, iSUBSCRIBE magazine subscriptions, Best Western plus many more.
- Access to the Association's dynamic website: including fact sheets, Job Board, CPD events, University programs, publications, position papers and other member resources.
Who can Join
Applicants that have approved primary qualifications in speech pathology from an Australian accredited university course. Student membership is also available to students enrolled in a recognised Australian accredited course by the Association.
(Overseas trained applicants please refer to 'Overseas Qualifications')
Our National and State Structure
National Council (the Board)
- Speech Pathology Australia is coordinated nationally by a council elected from all states and territories.
- Each state and territory has an active Speech Pathology Australia branch with its own officers. Some branches also have local geographical groups.
- The day-to-day activities are carried out at National Office in Melbourne by the Chief Executive Officer and a small staff.
National Office and Chief Executive Officer
- Supports members and their clients, and liaises with external stakeholders
- Ensure state-specific issues are aired- work with National Office on developing media responses, lobbying action or submissions to government or other organisations
- Any member can nominate for a role on their Branch Executive Committee
- All members are welcome to attend monthly Branch meetings
Speech Pathology Australia activities are coordinated within the portfolios:
- Continuing Professional Development
- Professional Standards
- Practice, Workplace and Government
- Public Affairs
- Scientific Affairs
- Member Networks
Each portfolio is headed by a national councillor, and supported by a leader and working parties in each branch.
Regular teleconferences and face-to-face meetings are held, ensuring close liaison and cooperation.
The opportunities to be involved are many. They include:
- Involvement in working parties and task groups.
- Involvement in the organisation at a branch or national level.
- Contribution of papers to Speech Pathology Australia publications.
- Mentoring Program
- Speech Pathology Week
- Judge for 'Book of the Year'
- Participation as a presenter at the Annual Conference.
Member Benefit Programs
As part of your SPA Member Advantage program you and your family can enjoy exclusive discounts on a range of quality lifestyle, leisure and financial services all year round.
Benefits include savings on:
How do I access my benefits?
To access your benefits, log into the Member Advantage website using your SPA member number; this is the number displayed on the front of your membership card.
Guild Insurance and Financial Services
Guild Insurance offers Speech Pathology Australia members a range of products and services to meet both your professional and personal needs.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Speech Pathology Australia has appointed Guild Insurance as the preferred insurer to provide professional indemnity and combined liabilities insurance for members. The range of policies has been negotiated to suit the differing needs of members whether working across public or private settings. Click here for details on Guild Professional Indemnity for members.
Additional Services and Products
Guild Insurance prides itself on offering members of Speech Pathology Australia with a range of additional quality insurance, banking and financial services. These include:
- Business Insurance Package
- Home and Contents Insurance
- Motor Vehicle Insurance
- Personal Valuables Insurance
- Personal Risk Insurance
- Financial Planning
- Banking Products with access to the Bendigo Bank Red Credit Card
For more information about any of the Guild Insurance Products or services, contact Guild Insurance on Freecall 1800 810 213 or visit http://www.guildgroup.com.au/index.php
VHIA (Victorian Hospitals' Industrial Association)
Speech Pathology Australia has taken out an annual subscription to VHIA, an organisation with affiliates nationally who specialise in industrial relations, human resource management, and employment law across Australia. Visit the VHIA website www.vhia.com.au
Industrial and award advice can be obtained by phoning 03 9861 4000.
- About SPA
- Join SPA
- SPA News & Events
- Information for Members
- Information for the Community
- Lobbying & Advocacy
- SPA Discussion Boards