The judgement of the student’s competency is based on an assessment of two closely interrelated sets of competencies, listed below. The first four competencies rated are the Professional Competencies. These competencies underpin the performance of the second set of seven Occupational or CBOS 2011 competencies.
Professional Competency Units
- Unit 1: Reasoning
- Unit 2: Communication
- Unit 3: Lifelong Learning
- Unit 4: Professionalism
CBOS 2011 Competencies
- CBOS Unit 1: Assessment
- CBOS Unit 2: Analysis and Interpretation
- CBOS Unit 3: Planning evidence-based speech pathology practice
- CBOS Unit 4: Implementation of speech pathology practice
- CBOS Unit 5: Planning, providing and managing speech pathology services
- CBOS Unit 6: Professional and supervisory practice
- CBOS Unit 7: Lifelong learning and reflective practice
COMPASS® can be made accessed by clinical educators and students in a hard copy (paper) or online version.
The COMPASS® assessment tool is delivered via the internet. Students login to the COMPASS® website to complete self-evaluations of their performance on placement and educators login to record their assessment by clicking on the rating line for each of the eleven competencies.
COMPASS® online also provides students and educators with a range of resources and onscreen help information to support teaching and learning and to assist students in achieving competency across the full range of professional and occupational competencies.
COMPASS® Hard Copy
COMPASS® is also available as a paper-based tool. Assessment is recorded by marking rating scales in an assessment booklet and the supporting information is provided in manuals.
To find out more about COMPASS® resources select the link below
To find out more about COMPASS® contact Speech Pathology Australia.
- About SPA
- Join SPA
- SPA News & Events
- Information for Members
- Clincal Guidelines & Position Statements
- Evidence Based Practice
- Get Involved
- Graduate Information
- Jobs Board
- Member Awards
- Member Communities
- Member Logo
- Membership Renewal Information
- Mentoring Program
- Professional Indemnity
- Professional Self Regulation (PSR)
- Research Grants
- Information for the Community
- Lobbying & Advocacy