Review of CBOS
The Competency Based Occupational Standards for Speech Pathologists (CBOS) are being reviewed.
The Competency Based Occupational Standards for Speech Pathologists (CBOS 2011, revised 2017) detail the minimum standards for the profession of speech pathology, as well as defining the profession’s range of practice and expectations about competency. CBOS outlines the standards required for university accreditation, re-entry to the profession, assessment of overseas trained speech pathologists and the level employers and the public can expect from early career speech pathologists.
The CBOS review is an important initiative of Speech Pathology Australia. It will support the development of a future ready workforce capable of delivering best practice and fulfilling the vision and aspirations articulated in Speech Pathology 2030: making futures happen project.
The Young Futures consultancy team has been contracted to complete the review. The project commenced in May 2018, with completion planned for December 2019.
In order to develop competency standards that reflect the scope of speech pathology entry level practice now and into the future, the Association needs input and insights from the profession.
Regardless of your role, background, knowledge or time spent in the profession, all input is welcomed and needed!
The review process will:
- be governed by the Speech Pathology Australia Board;
- utilise expertise and support from the Professional Standards Advisory Committee;
- be informed by the Competency Standards Advisory Committee;
- involve desktop research into best practice in developing and implementing competency standards;
- include benchmarking against other speech pathology standards internationally;
- provide opportunities for input by all Australian speech pathologists and other stakeholders, including educators, researchers, peak bodies and clients.
Details of key dates and opportunities to participate in the consultation processes will be advertised and advertised via eNews, social media and Speak Out.
CBOS Review Progress
The CBOS Review consists of three phases (View this Power Point for the three phases ).
Phase 1 is now complete. The report and recommendations are now available .
Questions or queries about either survey or about the review of CBOS should be directed to the Association’s Manager of Professional Standards.