LIVE Online details
Participants must attend/complete all elements:
(Registration is for both sessions)
Pre-workshop activity –self paced activity sent a week prior
Live session 1 – Tuesday 4 August, 1-4pm AEST
In between session task
Live session 2 – Friday 7 August 2020, 1-4pm AEST
This workshop aims to increase participants’ knowledge about pretend play, its importance to child development, and play assessment using the Pretend Play Enjoyment Developmental Checklist and intervention through Learn to Play Therapy.
Upon successful completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe pretend play.
- Explain why pretend play is important to a child’s development in relation to oral language, narrative language, and social competence.
- Analyse a case study using the play assessment, the Pretend Play Enjoyment Developmental Checklist.
- Recognise the behaviours of a child that indicate pretend play ability is below expected ability for age .
- Interpret and identify the play abilities of a child in a case study and apply this knowledge to planning 5 activities for the first Learn to Play Therapy session.
- Devise the first session of Learn to Play Therapy for a child.
Who should attend?
This is an advanced workshop (not suitable for students) - speech pathologists registering should have experience working with children aged (minimum) 12 months to 8 years.
It is important that speech pathologists be working with children and families. The information will be able to be ‘attached’ to real cases and thus be more meaningful for the participants.
If you have attended the previous workshop in 2018, please be advised there will be similar content about the development of pretend play and assessment of pretend play using the PPEDC. However, more time will be spent on play assessment and new information will be added on 2018-2019 research with parents and young children and pretend play and language.
If you have any questions about the workshop or venue, please contact Erin Masson, CPD Coordinator email@example.com
If you have any questions about the registration process please contact National Office firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 368 835.